John J. Hyde
John has been a partner at Paine Edmonds LLP since 1993 and is a senior member of the firm’s Insurance Litigation Group. He has practiced litigation exclusively for over 20 years in the areas of general insurance defence, occupiers' liability, personal injury, and medical malpractice. He has represented individuals and corporations through mediation, commercial arbitration, and trial. John has been instrumental in establishing claims management and loss prevention initiatives for several major corporations, including Canada Safeway Limited.
John has extensive trial experience and has conducted more than 50 trials (judge alone and jury) as lead counsel in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal of British Columbia. He has acted for plaintiffs and defendants in trials dealing with motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall incidents, claims arising from dangerous premises, medical negligence, and nuisance. John's trials have also included actions arising from commercial disputes, construction claims, construction and enforceability of contracts and statutory provisions, and various actions in negligence. Issues in these cases have included wrongful death, nervous shock, causation, liability, fraud, and damages. While most of his trial work has been in the Lower Mainland, he has conducted trials throughout British Columbia.
John has achieved the BV rating (Very High Legal Ability and Ethical Standards) in the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating system.
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 1985
- University of Alberta – Bachelor of Laws, 1984
- University of Toronto – Master of Arts (English), 1981
- University of Alberta – Bachelor of Arts (Honours, English), 1978
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Civil Litigation, Health Law, and Insurance subsections of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association Work-Life Balance Committee
- Member, Canadian Bar Association Practice Advisory Panels for Civil Litigation, Occupiers' Liability and Personal Injury
- Member (non-voting), Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Appointed to the Advisory to the Judicial Council of British Columbia Committee